Feb 28, 2011

How To File A Federal Fair Housing Claim

Housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, and disability is illegal by federal law. If you believe that you have been discriminated against in the process of trying to rent or buy a home or apartment, you may file a fair housing complaint.

There are several ways to file a complaint.

You can file an immediate complaint with the Department of Housing and Urban Development (“HUD”), the federal agency which has jurisdiction over matters of fair housing and lending.

To file a complaint, you can call the HUD toll-free number, 1-800-669-9777.
Or you can file your complaint by filling out their online form [http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/online-complaint.cfm].

Or you can send a complaint by mail. The HUD website contains the HUD complaint form, and you may wish to accompany your complaint form with a letter. A letter to HUD should including the following information:

• Your name and address
• The name and address of the person your complaint is about
• The address of the house or apartment you were trying to rent or buy
• The date when this incident occurred
• A short description of what happened

The HUD complaint form may be accessed here [http://www.hud.gov/utilities/intercept.cfm?/offices/adm/hudclips/forms/files/903-1.pdf]. Fill it out, and mail it to the address:

Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Room 5204
451 Seventh St. SW
Washington, DC 20410-2000

Not all HUD housing complaints are handled by HUD. Certain states have equivalent housing agencies to which HUD may refer your complaint.